Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Day of the Mothers

Happy Mother's Day! In honor of this occasion, I thought I'd write a letter.

Dear Planned Parenthood,

You really don't get it, do you?

Musingly,

Jeb

Oh, that reminds me of another letter I wanted to write today!

Dear Planned Parenthood White House,

You really don't get it, do you?

Musingly,

Jeb

Hmmm... That doesn't sound very Mother's Dayish, does it? Some of you may not recognize the first picture, it comes from a campaign called "No Mother's Day", which advises mothers to not have any contact with their families to highlight the dangers of... well... pregnancy, actually. You know, the first nine months of motherhood.

Planned Parenthood gets the letter because they're a supporter of this group which promotes access to abortion, because without abortion, women die.

The White House is just either dense, or pulling a massive troll. I haven't made up my mind yet.

So here's my actual mother's day letter. For reals this time.

Dear Mom,

Happy Mother's Day! I'm sorry that we don't get to celebrate with you today, but as Sean better have told you, we awoke to a sick almost-three-year old. Having received your motherly attentions as an ill youth, I know that you understand.

I want to thank you for the mother that you have been to me, raising me to love God and the Church, to love music and knowledge, and for always being there for me (like when I break down panicking because I don't know how to pack my dorm room to move out!)

Anyway, I thought I would share something with you that I have learned, partially because you helped me learn how to think, not just what to think. What is that thing?

You're welcome.

I know that I say that all the time because I'm so awesome, and also because I've given you a daughter in law and two grandchildren, but today I want to say you're welcome for making you a mother.

The thing is, God blessed your marriage to Dad so that my life might come from your love, and as awesome as I am, I certainly was not responsible for that. However, by the grace of being conceived, surviving what was from all accounts a somewhat scary delivery, by being, I get to give you the gift of motherhood; what is a mother without a child?

So I guess that's my message to you, and through this blog to everyone: mother's day isn't about you. Okay, well it is, but not in a vacuum. It's not a day to celebrate Donna Evans qua Donna Evans, but to celebrate Donna Evans qua Mater. It is a day that you could not celebrate in the same way without me, without Sean, without Ethan. Without the children you cared for in Texas, Kentucky, and Virginia, without the college students who came to consider you as a mother away from home at St. Thomas.

That's the great thing about motherhood, it is the gift of life itself, and of a special relationship that is unique between each mother and each of her children. Sometimes I've gotten a little jealous of other people considering you as a type of mother, but really I am grateful. It's a sign of what a mother you are that your motherhood cannot be contained.

I love you mom!

Jeremiah (because that's my name, even if it is too long for a little boy)