Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Singing Stone

Sometimes I feel like I am a singing stone.  I know that seems somewhat of an odd thing to say, but allow me to draw a few passages of scriptures together to illustrate what I mean.

Psalm 51:17

Lord, open my lips; my mouth will proclaim your praise.

Jeremiah 20:9

I say to myself, I will not mention him, I will speak in his name no more. But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it.

Luke 19:40

He said in reply, "I tell you, if they keep silent, the stones will cry out!"
The first is used in the opening of the Liturgy of the Hours, the second is of course from my namesake, and the third has always had a remarkable staying power with these other two texts.

Do you ever feel like this?

Like the truth of His Love is all bottled up inside you, just looking for a release?

Like if you don't start telling people about Him, you might burst into flames?

Like in this age where "Freedom of Religion" has morphed into "Freedom from Religion," all you want to do is shout in a exultant cry, "Jesus Christ is LORD, to the Glory of God the Father, in the Power of the Holy Spirit!"

I suppose that's why I started blogging.  My long-suffering wife has heard all of this in some form or another at least twice, I'm sure, and I usually have her proofread anything I post.

The spirit of this age is oppressive, choking freedom by the false freedom of license. 

We have grown sluggish and tired, and we who ought to be proclaiming Him (myself included) grow scared, or timid, and don't want to rock the boat.

Except, when all other voices grow silent, these very stones shall break into song.

I leave you with a verse from a song I wrote on retreat once.

Lord open my lips,
'Cause I've been silent as a stone.
But even these stones shall sing your praise,
And again my mouth will proclaim your praise.