Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Rosary Project

I am starting a new series of posts, which will all be tagged "Rosary Project" so that you can get them by themselves.  I will also likely update this post or start a page to track them all as I post them.

There is a legend about the rosary which has struck me since I first heard it.  In it, St. Dominic was in the south of France preaching against a very dangerous heresy which was inciting despair and utter lawlessness.  He preached tirelessly, but was driven from town after town.

He was in the forest one day, praying, bitter at the lack of success in converting the people whose souls he was trying to save, when Our Lady appeared to him, accompanied by angels.

She told him to not be surprised that he was achieving nothing.  Did he not know that when the Word of God came to the earth, the earth was first watered by the Angelic Salutation (Hail, Full of Grace, the Lord is with you)?

She instructed him to go into the towns, to teach the people her Psalter (the Rosary), and after leading them in the recitation of these Angelic Salutations, to instruct the people in simplicity - the mysteries of the Rosary.

This series is meant to be a 20+ piece reflection on the rosary, that Crown of Roses which we weave for Our Mother every time we pray it.  While I may include some posts as a defense of the rosary against various slanders and attacks, I mostly wish to share my reflections, in the hope that you will gain something from them.

If nothing else, I will be spending more time with Our Mother, which is reward enough.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ!